For a successful online business, you have to build a good website and that’s where WordPress will help. In this article I will tell you everything you need to know about WordPress and answer the most common questions which are: Is WordPress the Best Website Builder in the market or maybe there are better options out there?
- 1 What is WordPress?
- 2 What WordPress can be used for?
- 3 The differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
- 4 Is WordPress the Best Website Builder?
- 5 How to Get WordPress?
- 6 How much does WordPress cost?
- 7 Is WordPress right tool for you?
- 8 How to get started with WordPress?
- 9 Key points
- 10 Conclusion
What is WordPress?
WordPress is very simple to use and one of the most popular platforms for building your own website or blog. More than 33% of the websites are created and powered by WordPress. It means that one in four websites that you visit is very likely created with WordPress.
WordPress is a content management system which allows anyone to use it for free and makes very easy to manage an important aspect of your website, like content, design, menus, and pictures without having any programming skills. It’s very flexible, secure and rich in features platform which can help you to build almost any type of website.
What WordPress can be used for?
WordPress has created a tool to build a blog website, but over the years WordPress improved drastically and thanks to thousands of Themes and Plugins nowadays you can create any type of website with WordPress. It is very popular to create e-commerce stores with WordPress.
These are some of the types of website you can create using WordPress:
- Blogs and Personal websites
- Affiliate websites
- E-commerce stores
- Business websites
- Membership sites
- Job boards
- Non-profits websites
- Multi-language websites
- Auction websites
- Niche websites
- Photograph websites
The differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
Be aware that WordPress.com and WrodPress.org are not the same and have different features. What are the main differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
- Is a fully commercial service with provided hosting where you can set up your website or blog.
- Requires signing up for an account.
- Step by step website or blog set up in less than 5 minutes.
- Basic website functionality with a free account, but to get additional features you have to upgrade to a paid account.
- No plugins allowed.
- No database, files or backend code access.
- Choose from available themes, no theme uploads.
- It’s organizational service where you download website software and use on your own hosting account.
- Requires a separate hosting account.
- Most hosting platforms offer one-click WordPress installation.
- It is totally free thanks to open source development.
- Upload your own plugins and extend functionality.
- Access and customize database, files and backend code.
- Upload your own themes.
Both WordPress.com and WordPress.org have pros and cons and which one to choose depends on your needs. Personally, we prefer using WordPress.org, because it’s absolutely free and allows us to have more control over our website.
Is WordPress the Best Website Builder?
Website building platforms are the easiest way to build a website without any programming knowledge, however for the beginners it might be very tricky to find the best website builder platform. There are so many website builders out there like:
WordPress.org gives complete control over building your website. You can do anything with WordPress.com, change themes, menus, design, pictures, fonts, add widgets and plugins. All these features allow you to create any kind of website.
There are thousands of pre-made WordPress themes that you can use for your website. You can change the design and layout of any theme very easy as well. Also, you will get access over 50.000 free plugins which allows you to add additional features and functionality to your website.
Compared to competitors, WordPress.org is completely free and gives you full control of managing your website.
Can we call WordPress the best website builder? After careful evaluation with other website builders, we believe that WordPress is the best website builder and tops the competitors in flexibility, ease of use, overall performance and price.
World’s top brands like Disney, Mercedes Benz and Sony uses WordPress, because of its functionality and reliability. It’s also great for beginners, because it is very easy to learn how to use WordPress. There are hundreds of free lessons online on how to use WordPress as well if you ever felt like you needed help.
How to Get WordPress?
If you want to get WordPress.org just go on their website, click on get WordPress and press on download WordPress to download the software.
If you want to get WordPress.com go on their website, press on my site and create a site.
How much does WordPress cost?
WordPress.com basic membership is FREE, but it has many paid memberships as well.
WordPRess.org is absolutely FREE.
Is WordPress right tool for you?
If you want to write a blog, build a niche website, start an online store or sell online courses and looking for easy to manage, safe and secure SEO friendly website building platform for FREE WordPress is definitely for you. WordPress is a very powerful platform with many features which can help you to create a website quick and easy. It also can handle many media types as well.
How to get started with WordPress?
Pick a domain name – you have to pick your website domain name. Imagine that your website is like a house, but you still need to buy a land where to build that hose. Your domain name should be the same as your business or brand name. You can buy domains from as little as 5.99$.
Purchase a hosting – you need a server where your site’s data and files are saved. Choose a reliable and safe hosting platform. You need your site to be safe, fast and reliable. The most popular and very reliable hosting platform for WordPress is BlueHost.
Install WordPress – once you have bought your domain and hosting you are ready to install WordPress.org software.
Customize your site – now you can build your website framework, choose a high quality looking theme, widgets, plugins and make your website attractive and easy to navigate for your visitors.
Start creating content – And the most important part is to start creating quality content. Try to help people, answer their questions, and be helpful and informative. Remember that if your visitors doesn’t like your content they will leave your site and most likely never come back.
- WordPress is very simple to use and one of the most popular platforms for building your own website or blog.
- Nowadays you can create any type of website with WordPress.
- Keep in mind that WordPress.com and WrodPress.org are not the same and have different features.
- After careful evaluation with other website builders, we believe that WordPress is the best website builder and beats competitors in flexibility, ease of use, overall performance and price.
- WordPress.com basic membership is FREE, but it has many paid memberships as well.
- WordPRess.org is absolutely FREE.
This is all the information we wanted to share with you about WordPress. We highly recommend giving it a try if you need a reliable and easy to use website builder. WordPress is free and no risk involved in trying it out, if you decide that you don’t like using WordPress, you always can try other website building platforms and find the one that suits your need the most.
We hope this article gave you the information you needed and an idea of what is WordPress is about. If you ever need a hand or have any questions or concerns don’t hesitate and feel free to leave them below and we will be more than happy to help you out and answer your questions as soon as possible.
All the best,
Marius & Ndidi
Founders of howtoquit9to5job.com