Always wanted to work for yourself and quit that 9 to 5 job you hate, but don’t know how? You are really good at something and would like to work for yourself? Then freelancing is something you should try. In this article, we will explain to you what is a freelancer and everything you need to know about freelancing. Also, will give you the best Freelance Business Ideas.
If you want to get answers to all these questions to make yourself comfortable and keep on reading this article.
What is a Freelancer?
A freelancer is a self-employed person who works for himself and offers various services to the clients. Freelancers are not officially employed by other companies, but they can be subcontracted by other businesses. Very oftenfreelancers are working on several jobs for multiple different clients at the same time. Freelance work is usually a short term until the project is completed.
Freelancers can choose to work from any location at any day and working hours as longs as they complete projects before the client deadline. Freelancers usually get paid for completing the job or a project, but not for a day or an hour. Freelancer and client agree on the price and deadline of the project and after completing the project within the deadline freelancer gets paid.
Most common and marketable freelance jobs are in the creative industries such as web or graphic design, photography and videography, video editing and writing. But freelancers can work in almost any service-based industry, such as teaching, tutoring, accounting, marketing, and assistance.
The Advantages of Being a Freelancer
Freelancing is a great way to start your own business or just work for yourself and be your own boss. Freelancing has many advantages and we have listed the main advantages of freelancing.
Set your own working times. Freelancing is very flexible. You can choose your own hours and days you are willing to work.
Location independent. Most freelancing jobs require just a laptop and internet connection so you work from anywhere in the world. It is a great business model for people who love to travel and change their location.
You can choose your clients and projects.
In most jobs employees are told what projects doing or with which clients to work. In freelancing, you can pick projects you like and work with clients you prefer to work with.
You are in control of your projects. As a freelancer, you can choose how the project is completed and the tools you want to used to complete it as longs as your customer is happy with the final result.
Set up your prices. Freelancers can set up their own prices for the completed jobs which are usually more than you would get working for someone else, as they always cut their share from you. Also, the better you become at your field, the higher the price you can ask for the job you do.
Affordable business start-up price. If you are good at providing any of freelancing services, most likely you already have tools doing it. Starting a freelance business shouldn’t cost you a lot of money.
Total control of your business. You are in total control of your business as you can choose the direction of your business, working hours, location, pricing and the amount and type of projects you want to work on.
High demand for freelancing jobs.
Freelance is very competitive, but the demand for these kinds of jobs is very high too. Many businesses don’t have employees these days and hiring freelancers instead, because that way business can save lots of money. Good freelancers should never run out of jobs.
Paying fewer taxes. Being self-employed means that usually you pay fewer taxes than working for someone else.
Better work/life balance and increased overall happiness. Working for yourself and choosing your own hours of work and location can be a huge advantage of leveraging your free time a lot better and enjoying life more.
The Disadvantages of Being a Freelancer
If you are thinking about becoming a freelancer you have to know not just advantages, but also disadvantages of freelancing and understand that freelancing isn’t perfect for everyone. Not everyone could do freelancing jobs. Here are a few of the most important freelancing disadvantages.
Less stability. A freelance job means reaching to enough clients and receiving orders. Sometimes it might be challenging doing and you are not guaranteed in constant income.
Your client has schedules. Although you can choose your own days and hours of work, your clients will set your deadlines too and if you will be working on too many projects at the same time it might be very hard to meet the deadlines.
Fewer benefits. Many companies offer their employees’ benefits like pension, sick pay, health insurance, and holiday pay. Being self-employed means that you have to take care of and pay for all these benefits yourself.
Work isn’t consistent. Sometimes you might get more orders and at the times less, so you can’t accurately plan your income. Freelancers like graphic and web designer have to look for a new client after finishing their project. For freelancers like writer and photographers might be easier to find permanent clients which require a certain amount of articles or photos per week.
It’s not easy to become very successful. It’s not easy to become well know and successful freelancer and that probably not going to happen overnight. Getting enough clients to support yourself and your family might take a while. The better job or service you’ll provide, easier it will get more clients.
It can be very challenging. Sometimes it might be very challenging to keep up with multiple projects. You have to be prepared for that and know how to leverage the workload and organize your time well. Also, you have to know how to set your work phase so it wouldn’t affect the quality of your work.
You have to pay taxes. You have to pay taxes like medical insurance and social care yourself.
How to Become a Freelancer?
These are a few great tips on how to become a freelancer:
Decide what type of service you want to offer. Think what skills you have or what you are passionate about and choose a type of service you would like to offer to your customers based on that.
Set your rates. You have to find that sweet spot once setting rates for your services. Setting your price too low might cause suspicion to your clients that your services don’t have the value. Also, you might be struggling to earn enough money. Setting your price too high might affect a number of your projects as people might not be willing to pay you a very high price for certain services.
Create a brand. Creating a brand can help you to build more trust within people and get you more clients. Clients tend to choose freelancers which have a brand.
Set up an online portfolio. Setting up an online portfolio can help to attract more clients because they could see the examples of your work. And your jobs are the best proof for a client that you know what you are doing. It is worth thinking to create your own website which could promote your services and offer you more customization and flexibility. Also, you can use LinkedIn
is a free and great online resume that can help you to promote your services too.
Find your first client. To become a freelancer can be very easy. Visit freelancer job sites and try to find job offers in your current sphere or market and get your first order or project from the client. The pay might be not as good as you wish, but it can be a great start to get your name out there. Maybe get some referrals or positive feedback from your clients.
Market your services. There are many ways how you can promote and market your freelance business. You can create a social media account or website promoting your business, create YouTube videos or pay for Google or Facebook Ads.
Freelance Business Ideas
There are many freelancing business ideas and jobs you could do, but we have listed the most common freelance business ideas below.
- Graphic Design
- Web Design and Development
- Video Editing
- Data Entry
- Marketing and Media
- Project Management
- Social Media Manager
- Virtual Assistant
You have to choose something you are passionate or good at. That is the only way to be a successful freelancer because if you will do something you hate, you won’t be very good at it and it will be very hard to find customers.
Freelance income varies depending on your skills and experience in the market you’re targeting. In general, freelancers earn anywhere from $10 to $100 per hour. Skills that require more education or experience, such as accounting or website coding, generally pay more than skills that don’t require higher education such as video editing, photography, and writing.
How to Find Freelance Jobs
- Freelance work can be found just about everywhere if you are willing to look for it. Places to consider can be such as social media, freelance job sites, professional associations, networking.
- Promoting your website. You could promote your website and advertise your services, write a helpful article and
- Social Media. You can create social media accounts where you can advertise your services.
- The best places to find clients are websites where people (potential clients) are looking for help. Do some research and find out what are the best websites where people looking for help in your market.
- There are many Freelance job websites like Indeed, Freelance.com, Guru, CloudPeeps, Fiverr or Upwork.
- Having examples or proof of your work can help you to increase orders and increase numbers of customers drastically. Photographers must have the best of their pictures ready to show to their customers. Web designers must have the best of their websites etc.
- We recommend creating a website where you can display the best of your jobs and could easily show it to the potential customer. WordPress is a great and very simple tool to create any type of website. If you want to know more about WordPress and how to build your website read our article Is WordPress the Best Website Builder.
- A freelancer is a self-employed person who works for himself and offers various services to the clients.
- Advantages of being a freelancer can be such as working at your own time, location independent, control over your projects, choosing client and projects you want, paying fewer taxes, setting up your pricing.
- Disadvantages of being a freelancer can be such as less stability, fewer benefits, clients have deadlines, paying for your benefits, can be challenging, paying taxes and hard to become very successful.
- To become a freelancer you have to decide what type of service you want to provide and set your rates for those services. Create a brand and set up an online portfolio. Market your services and find your first client.
- Most common freelance business ideas can be such as web or graphic designer, photographer, programmer, videographer, teacher or tutor.
- Most common ways to find freelance jobs are using freelance job websites, checking websites where people are looking for help or advertising your services online.
We hope that you found this article useful and learned what freelancing is and how to get started. You know what are freelance advantages and disadvantages and if you will decide to become a freelancer we hope that our freelance business ideas will help you to decide what type of freelance services you want to provide.
If you ever need a hand or have any questions or concerns don’t hesitate and feel free to leave them below and we will be more than happy to help you out and answer your questions as soon as possible.
All the best,
Marius & Ndidi
Founders of howtoquit9to5job.com